Project management is key to a successful implementation. Inadequate project management has played a major role in failed implementations. A qualified, dedicated project manager is rule number one in all ERP implementations.
The Project Manager is responsible for managing the resources and the plan. The Project Manager will report directly to an executive steering committee. The project team, both vendor and client, report to the Project Manager. The team members are responsible for completing their tasks according to the plan.
The following are characteristics of a good project manager:
- Previous experience managing projects
- Has respect of organization
- Has to be a proven leader
- Has to be firm about requiring satisfactory performance from the team, both client and vendor
- Has an understanding of the entire range of processes.
FAIC Group Consultants often supplement client resources with the execution of PMO duties.
- Project Manager. An FAIC Group Consultant can fill the position of Project Manager. In this position, FAIC Group will manage your staff and the ERP vendors to achieve an on-time, on-budget implementation. The FAIC Group Consultant will be on-site 100% of the time. FAIC Group clients request this service when they find they do not have a manager they can assign to this role.
- Project Manager Assistant. An FAIC Group Consultant or an FAIC Group Partner can fill the position of Project Manager Assistant. In this role, the FAIC Group Consultant assists the Client Project Manager with project management duties. The FAIC Group Consultant will be on site one (1) to three (3) days per week. Time requirements will vary based on how much time the Client Manger can give to the project. FAIC Group clients request this service when they have an internal manager, but the individual cannot devote 100%, and therefore needs an experienced assistant.
- Business Team Leader. An FAIC Group Consultant can fill the position of Business Team Leader. Each ERP project requires several functional team leaders. An example is a Financial Team Leader. This individual leads the client staff through the implementation process. The FAIC Group Consultant will be on site three (3) to four (4) days per week. Clients request this service when they do not have an individual that has the time or the ability to lead a functional team.
- Steering Committee Advisor. An FAIC Group Consultant or an FAIC Group Partner can fill this position. In this role, FAIC Group provides advice and counsel to the project steering committee and project team throughout the project. The FAIC Group Consultant or Partner will be on site two (2) to four (4) days per month. Clients request this service when they have qualified a project manager, but want to maintain FAIC Group’s experience and knowledge into the implementation.